In June 1648 the Tower Guard was formed as part of the Trained Bands of The Tower of London and its Hamlets. The Regiment took its name from the new style musket (the fusil) which had a covered flash pan to minimise the risk of sparks igniting the gunpowder used by the Artillery. It was also known as The Tower Regiment of Foot, and it formed part of Oliver Cromwell's New Model Army.
An original fusil musket can be seen at The Royal Fusiliers Museum in the Tower of London.